Monday, June 15, 2020

Children

Final assignment proposal

I saw this quote “Let your smile change the world, but don’t let the world change your smile.”-Anonymous, and it made me think about what is going on with the students at the middle school in Providence that I work at, and how they have been expressing their feelings about COVID 19 and the impact of the police, death of George Floyd, and the protest.  Not only is the world in crisis, but also our students are in crisis.  They have been breaking down and I want to do more for them.

My proposal is the social issue of how this is effecting our students of all races and economic backgrounds. This will be done by what I have been hearing from my kids. I want to show what the students are seeing through their eyes or hearing with their own ears and how it is affecting them.  Every day the students are expressing how they are afraid to go outside. Some days I have students sobbing stating they are afraid of the police.  Many are confused because they don't really understand what is going on. This can cause permanent problems with adolescent development and health outcomes.

There are programs to help with the physiological and psychological effects that each student is experiencing.  It is important to educate and use proper resources to ensure long term health.  I will show the many opportunities that our students can receive to help them understand and cope with these issues to reverse any possible long term effects both physically and mentally.   I will be choosing assignment 1 and using information from In Sickness and in Wealth as well as other resources. 




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    I think you are headed in a great direction. You just need to narrow and tighten the focus.For instance, maybe you could look at one particular health effect (mental or physiological)of the stress/fear caused by police violence?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie. I think this sounds like a great topic. I am interested in learning more about how we, as educators, can better support our students who are experiencing an increase in stress and fear during the current world situation. I am wondering what resources we can provide our students and their families with to support their physical and mental health.

    ReplyDelete

"Stay Woke" and "Mighty Times"

                                                   It Takes Children To Be Heard After watching two powerful videos "Stay Woke" an...