Monday, May 18, 2020

Introduction

Introduction:
Hi class.  My name is Julie Malloy and I am a Registered Nurse.  The past two years I have been working as a school nurse at Gilbert Stuart Middle School.  I am back at RIC because I have to take eight courses to get my certificate for my job with the Providence School Department. I have decided that once I complete the eight I am going to continue, take four more courses, and get my masters in education.  Previously I worked as a trauma nurse At Rhode Island Hospital and I am currently working the front line with RI DMAT/Medical Reserve Corps.  Who knew that working at a middle school would be just as busy as the ER.  Even though it is a challenging job being a nurse, it is what I love to do.  Every day is something different and you never know what is going to happen next.  The students definitely keep me busy and I enjoy every minute being there for them. 

My Manifesto:
I am a nurse and it is my job to be there for my students,  teachers, and staff in my school. With this crazy pandemic stemming from a horrible virus called COVID 19, my heart is breaking because I want to find a way to help the students whose lives have been turned upside down.  It saddens me that they are not allowed to be social, play sports, travel, or have a graduation, as well as other mile stones that they are not able to take part in.  I am the nurse that helps with their anxiety and other health issues every day in my school and now I can't.  I want to be there to tell them it is going to be OK.  I want to help them with their emotions that are now magnified with them having to stay home.  Every day they live in constant fear that they may loose a family member or friend because of this new unknown world that they are forced to be a part of and I can't physically be there for them to help them through this.  With distant learning they are no longer getting the social emotional part of being with other students in school.  Something that is very important in their cognitive growth.  I wish I could do more.  I am the nurse that will always be there and will never give up.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to our class, Julie! Congrats on moving forward to get your master's degree!
    I really appreciate how in your manifesto you attend to the emotional AND physical needs of students, and anchor your practice in their well-being. And how you highlight the multiple ways the current crisis is harming young people. One thing we'll explore in our class is how big forces like race, class, and gender impact not only learning but students' overall well-being and life chances -- and that if we want them to have positive educational experiences and trajectories, we need to attend to these bigger 'social issues' that impact (and traumatize) them, their families, and their communities.
    Thanks,
    Dr. Benson

    ReplyDelete

"Stay Woke" and "Mighty Times"

                                                   It Takes Children To Be Heard After watching two powerful videos "Stay Woke" an...